A shop full of equipment would be nice, but when you are starting out you need to prioritize which pieces are the most important. Some of our readers submitted their thoughts about the equipment they suggest should be top priorities for any startup machine shop. Keep reading to see what they recommend.
Mahmudul Kabir is the Editor-In-Chief of Footinsider.
CNC Machines and Manual Machines
Here are some of the most important pieces of equipment that a startup machine shop should have:
- 1. CNC machines. These are computer-controlled machines used to create high-precision parts. A startup machine shop should have at least one CNC mill and one CNC lathe.
2. Manual machines. These older machines are operated by hand. While they are not as precise as CNC machines, they can still be used to create parts for prototypes or small production runs.
3. Cutting tools. Various cutting tools will be needed, including end mills, drill bits, and taps.
4. Measurement tools. Calipers, micrometers, and other measurement tools will be needed to ensure that parts are created to the proper specifications.
5. Inspection equipment. A startup machine shop should have a coordinate measuring machine (CMM) to inspect parts for accuracy.
6. Material handling equipment. A forklift or other material handling equipment will be needed to move heavy materials around the shop.
This is a crowdsourced article. Contributors’ statements do not necessarily reflect the opinion of this website, other people, businesses, or other contributors.